Thursday, August 25, 2011

Peace out, Summer 2011. It's been real, yo.

Tomorrow we leave for our end-of-summer family vacation to Cape Cod.  (Yes, sometimes Jewish-Italian-American families go to Cape Cod.  And, no, I did not buy pleated khaki shorts for the occasion.).   We rented a super cute little condo where we hope to hit the beach, do some biking, enjoy family bonding, and perhaps bask in the aftermath of hurricane Irene (Bite me, weather gods.).

So since it will be September when I return from our wet and wild adventure, and since I've already mourned the end of another fabu season of So You Think You Can Dance, I thought I would leave y'all with some parting words to bid adieu to Summer 2011.    After all, it's been pretty action packed - a debt crisis, a Kardashian wedding, birthday bonanzas, biblical floods, an earthquake, and possibly the most excruciating season of The Bachelorette ever.

So in honor of this epic summer, I've put together...


I just might miss you the most, SYTYCD!
A Short List of What I'll Miss and What I Won't Miss about Summer 2011

What I'll miss:  Feeling the warm sun enliven my soul.
What I won't miss:  The fighting, screaming, agonizing battles to get sunscreen on my kids.  You'd think it was made from acid and/or troll vomit. 

What I'll miss:  Sitting outside in the early morning, on the deck, writing this blog.
What I won't miss:  Watching squirrels piss on my garbage cans. 

What I'll miss:  Sitting outside on a warm night, on the deck, writing this blog.
What I won't miss:   Waving my arms like a lunatic to turn the outdoor light sensor back on.  It causes cramping.  Also, one time when the light was off, I drank a fly with my wine.

What I'll miss:  My summer improv class.
What I won't miss:  Having to think so quickly on my feet. It's quite tiring.  Also, if I get stuck in another bad doctor/nurse hospital scene I might scream. 
Me: "I'm sorry, Doctor. We lost him."
Him: "No. Hold on a sec...he's NOT dead"   (Wait. What??)
Me: "Oh he's NOT dead?  Oh, okay.  Ummm. Good."  (awkward pause)
Him: "Nurse, pass me the scalpel. We can save him." 
Me: (Seriously? I just said he was dead!)  "Here's the scalpel, doctor..."

What I'll miss: An excuse to eat ice cream!
What I won't miss: The laws of thermodynamics: "Mommy! Make my ice cream UNMELTED!" 

What I'll miss: Long lazy days at the pool.
What I won't miss: The magnetic pull of the snack bar and my kids' insatiable desire to buy something deep fried.   Hey snack bar lady, would it kill you to sell a fruit cup?

What I'll miss:  Fun neighborhood barbecues.
What I won't miss: My paralyzing fear of undercooked chicken.

What I'll miss: Having my sweet, wonderful, smart children home with me for so many many many hours of quality time and nurturing attention during these weeks between camp and school.
What I won't miss: Having my sweet, wonderful, smart children home with me for so many many many hours of quality time and nurturing attention during these weeks between camp and school.


See you in September, everyone!!!

Xoxoxoxo.