Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Working hard or hardly working?

This week my kids had pajama day at camp. At first I was pretty jealous.  These damn kids get all the fun!  Wouldn't it be nice if adults could just roll out of bed and spend a whole day in pjs at work?  And wouldn't it be totally great to see what people slept in?!  Who's a flannel?  Who's a silk? cotton? skimpy? modest? pajama jeans? leopard print? (FYI, boys, most girls wear flannel when you're not looking).  

I wasn't making it up! These are f-ing real!
So I'm standing in the kitchen packing lunches and enjoying a detailed fantasy about a day at the office with imaginary sexy co-workers in boxers or briefs when it suddenly dawns on me. I work from home...sigh...and every day is friggin' pajama day...sigh.  And no one really cares whether they are flannel or silk or look like denim.  Double sigh.

Yes, I work from home.  I know, I know, I have it "so good." Some people spend their entire lives commuting in and out of metropolitan areas and can only dream about what a luxury it would be to work from home with their feet up on the coffee table and maybe watch The View during conference calls and even sneak a nap here or there.  Sounds totally fabu, right?

But for a girl like me who thrives on attention collaboration and loves to gossip connect with co-workers, working from home has been nothing short of a complete nightmare challenge.

Disclaimer:  I love my job and I work hard at my job and I NEVER watch The View.  (My friend Betty, the employment lawyer, told me I needed to say that).

But, sometimes the isolation can really get to me.  And sometimes I just need someone to talk to...someone besides the cleaning lady, that is.

Yes, I admit that I hire a cleaning lady.  Not every day or even every week, but a very modest once-every-other-week cleaning lady.  And secretly (shhhhhhhh...) I REALLY look forward to those days when I have someone else in the house with me for like 5 hours.  Of course we can't really have deep, meaningful conversations.  And sometimes I try to make small talk and I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm hitting on her, but it's just nice to have human contact.  So...if you think there is even a possibility that you are EVER going to work from home and maybe have your own cute cleaning lady named Camila, run out right now and get a Rosetta Stone.  Do it.  Run.  ¡Ahora!

And while you are out shopping, here are a few more things you might want to pick up:
  1. A good pair of binoculars:  working from home = neighborhood watch. 
  2. A padlock:  Trust me. You'll want that Costco-sized box of goldfish behind lock and key.
  3. A fancy Nespresso machine:  The Starbucks withdrawal can be really painful.
  4. A drill sergeant:  Yeah, I know you can't buy one.  But I'd be wicked efficient if I had one. Bonus if he's cute.
See what I mean?  Look how much time I've spent procrastinating!  If I had someone threatening push-ups, I might have been budgeting instead of blogging.  Ah well...I hope you enjoyed the break.  Now get back to work.  Hasta luego, amigos.  Have a great week!

- Mimi