Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day Rocks

So I woke up this morning with every intention of actually doing some "real" work before my kids and husband woke up.  I have this paper  nagging in the back of my head that I need to write and haven't had time and I thought that perhaps 6am on a Saturday morning would be the perfect time to do it.  I made some coffee, turned on my laptop, plopped a stack of dense files on the table next to me, and let out a long, long. long, looooooooooooooooong sigh.

(sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Then I stopped myself.  And I perked up.  Hey wait, it's Mother's Day weekend.  Screw it.  I don't need to meet any deadlines.  It is MY weekend.  I am queen.  Preparing for next week's meetings will just have to wait...

at least until Monday. 

Because for now I'm going to milk this baby for all it's worth (wait. that came out wrong. perhaps not the best idiom to use on this occasion.).  And I starting thinking about all the ways that Mother's Day is way way better than my birthday.   So, before everyone else wakes up and I am thrown back into the I'm-not-really-queen-and-the-universe-is-not-at-my-command reality, I will take 5 minutes to share my top five reasons why Mother's Day is better than my birthday: 

Ready?  I'll do it Late Night style.


5.  I get presents and cards without being forced to face my own mortality.  I have not gotten any older this weekend.  That is a huge relief.  Though I did wake up with a pimple.  Am I actually getting younger?

4. The songs are way better.  "Happy Birthday" sounds the same every year and aren't we all a little tired of it?  I had the pleasure of being serenaded all week long with a variety of tunes and ditties my kids learned at school about the wonderfulness of moms.  And so what if they only remembered half the words and fought over which ones to sing?  It was a huge improvement, even if it did end in bloodshed and tears.

3.  No candles = No fire hazards.

2.  Mother's Day is always on a Sunday.  Birthdays come on whatever day they come.  It could be a Saturday if you're lucky... or it could be a Friday which is also not so bad.  But, it could also be a random Tuesday on which you have to wake up at 6am to get yourself dressed and get your kids to school and get to work and get to a meeting and get screamed at by the parking attendant for driving down the wrong lane and then get stuck in loads of traffic on the way home.  On a Sunday I am less likely to encounter those things.  (Though substitute "school/work/meeting" for "brunch" and "parking attendant" for "other parking attendant" and it could also be a Sunday.)

And the number ONE reason Mother's Day is better than my birthday....(drum roll)

1. My own mom.  She is awesome.  I get to celebrate me and celebrate her at the same time.  In fact, I get to celebrate ALL the other awesome moms out there (and hell, even the crappy moms deserve a shout out this weekend). 

And none of us have to get any older.  You're welcome.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post if for you, Mom.  I love you.